The Benefits of Drinking Enough Water
Drinking enough water can make you smarter, stronger, and look younger! Don’t believe me?
Read on to find out more…
I’m sure you’ve been told a thousand times that you need to drink water for a healthy diet.
I’m also sure you’ve been told by at least one person that you’re not drinking enough.
But why should you drink more water and what’s the right amount of water to drink?
You should think of water as an essential nutrient that you need to replace daily. Thankfully it’s easy as water is in our everyday food and drink.
Sometimes these might not be enough, and you need to drink extra.
Humans are made up of 60% water and you are continually losing it through sweating, breathing, and waste. These loses must be replaced for a good health.
If you don’t replace this lost water you’ll become dehydrated. This will effect your performance, health and severe dehydration will lead to death.
Dehydration can be increased by several factors including hot weather, hard exercise, and at high altitudes.
If you do drink enough fluid you’ll get a number of benefits.
7 Benefits of Drinking Plenty of Water
1. Drinking Water Makes You Smarter – your brain is mostly water, and like the rest of your body if you become dehydrated by as little as 5% it will impair you cognitive function and make you feel tired.
2. Drinking Water Helps You Loss Weight – drinking plenty of water will suppress your appetite, so you eat less. It will also prevent fluid retention because your body doesn’t need to store it.
Drinking water also helps your body burn stored fat. If you’re not drinking enough water, your liver will be forced to help your kidneys detoxify your body. When you drink plenty of water, your kidneys don’t need any extra help, so your liver will be able to metabolize stored fat more efficiently.
TOP TIP: Try drinking a glass of water before you eat any food. The feelings of hunger and thirst are very similar.
3. Drinking Water Increases Performance – cells that don’t maintain the correct fluid and electrolyte balance will shrivel. This can result in fatigue and under-performance.
TOP TIP: We recommend you drink around 250ml every 15 minutes you’re training.
4. Drinking Water Keep You Looking Young and Healthy –
5. Drinking Water Keeps You Toxin Free – Water helps transfer waste products in and out of cells. Your Kidneys do an amazing job of cleansing and ridding you body of these waste products as long as your fluid intake remains adequate.
6. Drinking Water Aids Digestion – Adequate hydration keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation.
7. Drinking Water is Good For Your Joints –Your joints need moisture in order to remain strong and flexible, so that your movements are smooth and pain free. Drinking plenty of water can help with this.
Are you drinking enough?
So now you know some of the benefits drink enough water will give you, but how do you know how much to drink?
As with most things, the amount of water for each person is very individual, but if your pee isn’t mostly clear or you have any of the symptoms I mentioned above, you most likely aren’t getting enough water.
I’ve been told by several nutrition experts to most active people try to drink 1 litre of water per 20kg body weight.
For example, if you weight 60kg look to drink 3 litres of water (60/20 = 3)
Here are 5 Tips to Help You Drink More Water
If you think you need to be drinking more, here are some tips to increase your fluid intake and reap the benefits of water:
1. Have a drink with every meal.
2. Choose beverages you enjoy; you’re likely to drink more liquids if you like the way they taste but make sure they don’t have any added sugar in them.
3. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Their high water content will add to your hydration. About 20% of our fluid intake comes from foods.
4. Keep a bottle of water with you in your car, at your desk, or in your bag.
5. Set a reminder
For more information on the benefits martial arts training has to offer and your FREE Trial at Masters Academy Plymouth call 01752 262233 or fill out the form on this page.