20 Rules For Success In Kickboxing
I first learned these rules from one of my instructors, Erik Paulson, in 2004. They are all very simple, and if you want to be successful in Kickboxing or Mixed Martial Arts you should follow each one.
Many of them are common sense and you probably follow them without realising. Having said that it’s amazing how many fighters I see breaking even some of the most basic rules on a regular basis.
You might get away with breaking the rules some of the time but eventual you’ll caught out and you’ll learn the importance of having solid basic skills.
Here are 20 rules for success in Kickboxing:
1. Hands Up – Gloves at least level with your eye-line.
2. Chin Down – Imagine you’re squeezing a tennis ball under your chin.
3. Move Your Head – when you punch, when you kick, or when you get hit.
4. Circle – don’t go straight back.
5. Fake or faint your way in – just stepping forward will make you an easy target
6. Never take without giving – if some hits you hit them back. It’s like Christmas.
7. Be first
8. Be last
9. Leave nothing unanswered – always have a response
10. Return 2 – 5 shots for every 1 receive – it’s a numbers game
11. Punch when kicked
12. Kick when punched
13. Clinch or move when tagged – covering up will only lead you to worse trouble
14. Punches set up kicks, punches set up kicks – every technique should be set up.
15. Punch or Kick out of a clinch or break – don’t just step back, hit on the break.
16. Cut your opponent off – use lateral steps and don’t just follow your opponents foot steps.
17. Dictate center of ring – There’s two rings in a ring centre and outside decide which one you want to be in.
18. Always change your attacks – don’t be predictable, always keep your opponent guessing.
19. When you score blitz – when you score hit it again, then disguise it and hit it again
20. Perpetual Motion – Stay busy, a stationary target is an easy target.
As I said before all these rules are very simple, and I’m sure you’re already doing a lot of them.
But look over the list and see which ones you need to improve on. The next time you train try to include the ones you’re missing.
For more information about or Kickboxing classes call 01752 262233 and take advantage of our Free Trial.
Also on Saturday 9th August we have an Introduction to Sparring seminar taking place. For more information Click Here